Monday, March 29, 2010

Return of the Shin Splints ?!

I used to be troubled big style with shin splints until seeing a podiatrist a couple of years ago. She increased the correction on my orthotics and suggested a neutral, cushioned running shoe - bang, they disappeared overnight !

The last couple of days I've had that feeling in my shins again and I'm not sure why but think I have identified two possible causes. When I did the Griffin Forest run I forgot my orthotics and ran anyway, this wouldn't have been a problem in my old Salomon XA Comp's. I have owned and loved 3 pairs, marvelous shoe, light, grippy, cushioned and fit my feet perfectly requiring no breaking in. But they don't make the Comp any more so now I have XA Pro 3D Ultras, which don't seem as cushioned or as grippy, but they are still v comfortable.

The other reason, and I think the one that is to blame, is that at work on Saturday night I had to sprint about 300m as if someone's life depended on it (actually, it did) on a road in my work boots. They are not cushioned and I didn't feel it at the time, but it started a couple of hours after. Maybe the damage was done in the big run and aggravated by the clumpy, booted sprint.











So today I decided to do my normal 8 mile off road route from Ballo Hill to Lundie Crags and back, taking it easy and seeing how the shins got on. Here's the route -











I have to report that my shins didn't feel too bad on the whole, a wee bit pained on some of the faster downhills, but hopefully not too much damage has been done. Taking it easy and running through sleet for most of it, I ran the route in 69 mins 25s, the first time under 70 mins. The dog didn't seem too impressed and the wee idiot showed off running most of the way carrying a stick, or should that be a log ....

No comments:

Post a Comment