Thursday, January 29, 2009

WHW Training run - 25 Jan 09

This was the 3rd training run organised by John K and the 2nd one I’d made. The original intention had been to run from Drymen to Beinglas, however sadly a couple of days before the run John’s dad passed away whilst on holiday in the US. Understandably John had other priorities so it was decided in order to ease the transport difficulties & in light of the weather forecast the route would be changed to Balmaha – Inversnaid and back, about 30 miles.


I met up with Ian and Phil but almost didn’t make it, the A9 was treacherous with snow between Perth & Stirling. Phil almost didn’t make it out his driveway.


The weather slowed our progress so we arrived a bit later than planned, quickly threw on our gear then headed off, 15 happy runners in total. Immediately on leaving the car park we were running through puddles and saturating the feet – a taste of things to come.






















The group near the start.


Balmaha to Rowardenan is my favourite section of the route and even in the dreary conditions I still enjoyed the run through the trees. I quickly fell into step with John Malcolm, who recognised me from the Devil’s Burdens the previous day, he had been running the same leg as me. John got a last minute entry in 2008 and managed a 25 hour run, so with a bit of advance notice and better training he could be one to watch this year.


We were also joined by Jamie Aarons who is attempting the Fling this year. I got the impression she’s not too confident about finishing it, but from the way she ran she will not only finish it but put in a good time too.


Phil Tipping caught us near Rowardennan and we all ran together for a while. After Ptarmigan Cottage I had planned to run all the way up the hill using the opportunity to run a big hill with a decent amount of miles already in my legs. I normally walk most of this hill in the race and figured, especially for the Fling, if I could run some of it I could make up some time here.


It was a fair trackle but Phil and I pressed on and whilst he managed it easily I struggled slightly, but made it. Coming down the other side the heavens opened and it began pouring, it would not stop for another couple of hours.


Phil stopped to put a waterproof jacket on where the track changes to path, I waited for Phil, there’s not point in going out with others then running on your own, whilst we were stopped Jamie caught us up again.


We arrived at Inversnaid Hotel in around 2 hrs 39 mins, and stopped for a quick bite to eat. We had a few funny looks from the bus party which was waiting in the foyer.


Jamie & me at a rainy Inversnaid

Phil waiting for a bus ? (look at the woman in the middle window smiling for the photo!)


On the way back the rain chucked it down until well after Rowardennan, but the route was still surprisingly busy with walkers and there were even another couple of groups of runners, but I didn’t recognise anyone.


I decided that even if it killed me I was going to run again over the hill on the way back. Phil breezed up and dropped me as I struggled on, I made it but by the top Phil was a dot in the distance.


We went through Rowardennan in 4 hours but by this time I was cold, wet and hungry so quickly threw a jacket on and took onboard some food as I could feel my energy reserves were getting low.


Running back to Balmaha in a north – south direction is quite disorientating, I didn’t have a clue where I was a lot of the time, but it is still a pleasant route. As I ran through a large group of walkers near Arrochymore Point the ones at the back shouted a warning “runner coming through” which I thought quite flattering ‘cause I certainly didn’t feel like I was running by this stage !


I arrived back in the car park after 5hrs 36 min and felt quite fresh but my hamstrings were v v v tight. I’m going to get a massage …..




No comments:

Post a Comment