Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Devil’s Burdens Recce

The “Devil’s Burdens” is an annual relay race organised by Fife around the Lomond Hills. 2 years ago it was my first ever running race and last year I was in no fit state to run it so acted as a support driver, a job I found incredibly frustrating ! Happily this year I’ll run it again.


Dundee Road Runners usually enter a couple of teams and this year is no different. Due to the altitude of the course and the strong possibility of bad weather reducing visibility we usually have a recce run to show new runners the route and refresh the memories of those who have already run it.


I woke up on Sunday to hear the wind and rain battering against the window – I was sorely tempted to turn over and go back to sleep, but I’d no way of contacting the other runners so I forced myself along and met with the 5 other hardy souls also turned up - and of course the dog had no choice.


The hardy fools - Me, Grant, Morag, Daniel, Alison & Ged (note the rain on the lens and trees being blown over in the background!)


We ran from the Craigmead car park to the foot of East Lomond, which the howling gale deterred us from climbing, then we followed Leg 1 to Holl Reservoir (with only a slight route deviation!). We then took in Leg 2 passing 3 other groups of equally mad runners who I presume were also recce’ing the route.


Approaching Holl Reservoir (slightly off course!)


From the top of White Craigs, where the wind was blowing the rain so hard it hurt your face, we decided against the descent to Scotlandwell because we would have had to come straight back up again, so we followed the treacherously slippy paths through the mist past Bishop Hill and down into Glen Vale.


The spectacular views as we pass Bishop Hill.


"And that's where we're not going" says Ged pointing at W Lomond

By this time (actually it was probably well before ) everyone was wet through and cold so we ran to Harperleas Reservoir then cut over the shoulder of West Lomond across Balharvie Moss and onto the path and back to the car. The last couple of miles were pretty miserable. We ran a total distance of 11.8 miles which we covered in a leisurely 2 hours 40 mins.


Despite the weather being absolutely miserable I think it had been a worthwhile day, especially for me as I’ll probably run the 3rd leg and there were bits I couldn’t remember.






No comments:

Post a Comment