Monday, January 19, 2009

Glen Prosen

On Saturday, mutt and I went for a run up Glen Prosen. Despite having been up the adjacent Glen Clova hundreds of times I’ve never actually been to the head of Prosen so I worked out a route on the map which was around about 20ish miles.


I parked at the entrance to Cramie Farm then ran down the road to Cormuir Farm (best get the road run out the way at the start). The climb over the Hill of Strone was fairly pleasant, a bit breezy but sunny, with great views down Glen Prosen.

Sunshine on Glen Prosen


The descent was wet and muddy through the trees down to a ruin named “Hole” on the map. (Note for next time – follow the track south to Glenhead Farm) Unfortunately I chose to run along a path over the Moss of Glanny which was marked on my 1987 map but isn’t there now. They’ve replaced it with a really wet bog so by the time I came through it my feet were soaking. Taking this route really slowed my progress.

There's a dog in there somewhere


I cut over the hill to the driveway for Glenmarkie Lodge and followed the well kept track down to Freuchies then headed north for 6 miles back through the forest. There is a lot of felling work going on and the logging vehicles have churned up the tracks so it was quite hard going. The track petered out for the last mile or so through the trees and the path wasn’t great, again slowing me down.

Mud, glorious mud


Once over the hill and down to the Kilbo ruin it was an easy jog back down the glen to the car, although due to all the sheep I did have to run with Cody on a lead, which is not ideal as he likes to bomb ahead and it can throw you off your stride a bit.


It had been a good day, the threatened rain never arrived, I only met 2 mountain bikers and a gamekeeper all day but had only been out for 4 hrs 33 mins. I would have liked to have done longer but with the terrain I had been covering I was still pretty weary.


Next weekend I have the Devil’s Burdens relay on Saturday followed by a 28 miler on The Way on Sunday – looking forward to it.




1 comment:

  1. Gav have emailed gordon ur blog great picture of the mutt? Dad

    ReplyDelete