Thursday, February 5, 2009

Forfar multi-terrain half-marathon

Sunday saw the running of the 4th Forfar multi-terrain half marathon. This is a cracking wee race that follows a route around the Forfar footpath network. I’ve run it the last 2 years and the route takes in some road running, big stretches of unavoidable flooded paths, ploughed fields and a big 1 mile climb up Balmashanner Hill at 9 miles. You also have to stop and have your number punched by marshals at 7 different checkpoints which interrupts the rhythm and can be frustrating if there’s a queue.


Because the conditions underfoot are so varied all along the length of the route, and from year to year, it’s good to run without the pressure trying to beat the clock – just run for the hell of it.


There were 143 runners and this year they called runners up in groups of 4 for a kit check, we required waterproof top, hat & gloves – just to run around the perimeter of Forfar ! There were plenty of runners getting their kit checked then passing it back to their buddies, but I didn’t see anyone get refused permission to start.


In 2007 it was my first half-marathon and I ran 1hr 36min. In 2008 it was my first decent run back from ill health and I managed a 1 hr 40min. This year I planned to try and run around 7.30min/mile for the race which I felt I could maybe hold for 13 miles, this would get me in close to the 2007 time and if I could get under it I’d be delighted.


In the first mile I felt I was moving quickly backwards through the pack but got to the 1 mile marker in 6.40min. I was running well within myself but it was faster that I felt comfortable with. I quickly fell in with a chap, who I think was Alan Smith from Deeside Runners, and the 2 of us would end up running pretty much the entire race together.

Mile 4 – 5 was a farm track which was pretty much 1 long puddle interrupted by the odd bit of dry land. We reached 5 miles in 34.30, one of the fastest 5 miles I think I’ve run, but I still felt comfortable and I was moving up the field now.


I got to the foot of the climb at 9 miles in 62.40 – amazingly still under 7 min/mile, but the next mile took 8.30mins. From the top it was pretty much all downhill and I was feeling really good now, until I hit the deep mud in the field at 12 miles.


A dash through an industrial estate to the finish where the clock stopped at 1hr 31min 27s. Crazily – a half-marathon pb and 24th place. I’ve never managed to get under the hour and a half, but if the course had been on road and flatter I probably would have managed it comfortably today. I kept myself relaxed throughout the race and didn’t get too carried away at the start, in fact no-one went past after 1.5 miles.




Ged, Me, Morag & Dave at the finish


The other Dundee Road Runners ran –

Paul Slater – 1.26.35

Ben Newton – 1.27.19

Dave Rodley – 1.33.34

Mo Taggart – 1.40.04

Ged Savage – 1.49.44


Full results HERE







1 comment: