Monday, February 22, 2010

I'm Back !

I haven't updated my blog for a looong. It's something I've keep meaning to get round to but I think after a disappointing couple of races last year I kind of lost my enthusiasm a bit, but 2010 is a new year so here goes.

Firstly I must make mention of the passing of Dario Meleragni the driving force behind the WHW race, he seemed to live and breathe the race showing so much enthusiasm it was infectious. I was always amazed at how much he knew about EVERY runner at the prize giving, always able to make some unique comment I'm sure it made everyone feel special.

My first encounter with Dario wasn't how I would have liked - he refused my entry to the 2008 race ! With hindsight he was right, I had never run further than a half-marathon, and he made me qualify stating "if you finish the Highland Fling, you'll get in the race". True to form the day after I finished the race he was on the phone congratulating me and confirming my race number. I first met him the day after I finished the 2008 race. He was very complimentary and seemed to know a lot about me, yet I was grateful he refrained from going in to too much detail at the awards that year, he knew just the right thing to say.














Getting my 2009 goblet from Dario.


I only met him a few times yet I'm glad I was able to tell him just home much the race meant to me through my illness, I don't think people realise that finishing the race was such a powerful motivating factor to get well but I hope I conveyed that to him. He will be sorely missed by everyone involved in Scottish ultras and the 2010 race will be difficult for those who knew him, and particularly so for the organising committee, but I’m sure he will live on in the race.

No comments:

Post a Comment