Saturday, February 19, 2011

An icy slide along the Cateran Trail.

Firstly, thanks to everyone who commented in response to my request for training suggestions. I'll go with the unanimous majority and keep doing what I've always been doing, although this year I might bump the mileage up a wee bit.

Went for a run along the Cateran Trail yesterday, a route I've done a few times, run was from Bridge of Cally to a bothy known as the "Lunch Hut" between Enochdu & the Spittal of Glenshee. In total it's not far off 28 miles, so would be a good test for me at this stage of my "season".


The Route
We are currently dog sitting so have 5 dogs in the house and by the time I'd got them walked, fed then driven to the start it was mid-day - a lot later than I'd planned to be. As 2 of the other dogs were still pups and the other 2 are fat little barrels, it was only Cody that I took with me.

Within 10 minutes I was slipping and sliding along icy forestry tracks. When hard packed, wet ice covers the entire width of the track, it makes for very slow, cautious going, and I found places more stress on your legs as you tense up and try not to fall. And when there was no ice there was mud, lots of it. 

Cool signpost near to Cultalonie Farm















 


Going out was a bit of a slog, previously I have been to the halfway point at the hut in 2 hours 15 mins, but yesterday it took me 2 hours 55 mins. I knew then I was going to be finishing in the dark. The way back was even tougher, obviously the terrain was the same, but my poor fitness really showed and I came back in 3 hours 25 mins, making a total time for the 28 miles of 6 hours 20 mins, an average speed of 4.4 mph - yikes !!

I'm putting it down to the underfoot conditions stopping me getting in to my stride ! I hope that's the case as I'm planning a run on the WHW on the 27th with John Kynaston and a group of pretty good runners, so I don't want to hold them up. I'm really wishing the snow would disappear now, but there's more forecast tonight and it looks like I might struggle to get to work in Blairgowrie in the morning.






2 comments:

  1. I could picture your run on the Cateran trail but we had really conditions in the race last year.

    Looking forward to running with you on the 27th.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still loads of snow / ice on that section?! I'll bet there was more when I passed by the Lunch Hut on 31st December last. Look out for my comment in the visitors book next time you are passing!

    Murdo t M

    ReplyDelete