Friday, February 11, 2011

Snowy run with my "new" Packdog !

I decided to go for a longer run on Tuesday there, so headed up to Dunkeld to do a run in the Loch Ordie area, I had a target of 20 miles give or take in mind, and thought that after the recent, relatively warm weather most of the snow would be gone - I was wrong !

As I headed past Perth I could see that the snowfall we had on Sunday night had stuck around locally, but I decided to carry on anyway. Cody was with me and this was our first outing with his new dog backpack. I figured there was no point in me carrying everything when I could give the dog gainful employment, so he got the pack for Christmas. He's only worn it for a few walks but doesn't seem to mind it at all, his tail continues to wag incessantly -



So given the weather he was tasked with carrying a spare fleece and a pair of trousers for me. We set off from the car park and it quickly became clear that the run was going to be a lot harder than running in normal conditions. The soft powder snow was generally 2-3 inches, but frequently was 6 inches deep and any standing water was frozen solid, making for slippy, tiring progress.

Typical conditions
I trudged up to Loch Ordie then down towards Kindallachan and back to the car park by Rotmell Farm. The distance covered was about 17.5 miles and because of the underfoot conditions I was regularly reduced to walking so it took me 3hours 15 mins, an average speed of 5.3mph, which I guess I'm quite happy with given the limited running I've been doing and the snow / ice.

I'm running a bit more regularly now and hope to get another couple of longer runs in before the end of February so my monthly target is 70 miles which, work permitting, should easily be acheivable. I've created a table of my monthly mileage again, but this year I've added my total mileage prior to the WHW race and my time. I've never done this before and what I found amazing was how close my totals were given that I don't really know what I'm doing and have a completely unstructured, run-when-you-can training regime. 



This year I'd like to increase my mileage to see if it makes any difference. Looking at some other blogs Marco Consani ran 285 miles in January ! And Ian Beattie ran 2,035 miles throughout the whole year, so I have some catching up. I've deliberated this many times before and I'm not sure if the running that I do suits me, or if increasing my mileage would improve my times ? So Jez, if you're reading this and you  have the time to make me up a training program then feel free to e-mail me ! I know that it's a completely individual thinag and if you ask 2 ultra runners how they train, you'll get 3 different answers but if anyone else wants to contribute some suggestions then they would be gratefully received.

4 comments:

  1. I'm sure it is not necessarily a case of "more mileage is better". Does Jez do a whole lot more than Marco? Probably not. I reckon it is what suits each person that is best for them. You seem to do very well on a (relatively) low mileage training programme. Would you do much better (any better?) if you upped your mileage to Marco distances or further? I guess the only way to really find out would be to do Marco distances for 6 months, but you've probably left that idea a bit late for the 2011 race. I'd be inclined to stick with how you have been doing it previously; and just focus on finishing in 19:59 this time rather than 20:00 ;-)

    btw, I think getting your dog to carry your kit is a brill idea, and seems to meet with approval of both of you ~ though it does mean you are no longer running unsupported

    Murdo t M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gavin

    Interesting question! I don't know how you produce such great times with so little mileage but it obviously works for you.

    The big question, though, is whether running say 200miles a month would mean you could break 19hrs?

    For me I love to run and the training, especially my long monthly runs on the whw, are just as important as the race.

    I suppose the question for me is if I did your monthly mileage would I be able to produce a sub 20hr time?

    Maybe one year I should do your miles and you do mine and we could answer the question????

    Anyway look forward to catching up at some point.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. The answer's so obvious, Gav... do what you did in 2008 because it's fastest. And beware because those extra miles this January (all seven of them) have probably already set you on the road to ruin! ;-)

    PS Pack dogs sound great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gav just train the way you want to train, I wouldn't worry too much what others are doing as long as you maintain the enjoyment of running that's more important than times, incidentally I don't think many could post the times you have on the limited mileage you do, you seem to have natural endurance.

    Davie

    ReplyDelete