Thursday, March 31, 2011

Monthly Update (not that there's much !)

Well February was a good month mileage-wise, but March sees me return to my old ways. I finished off Feb with a long run of 31 miles from the Drovers to Kingshouse with the following group - 

Richie, Marco, John, Neal, Me, Bob & Ross
Within half a mile of starting I knew the pace was too hard for me and before too long I was trotting along at the back. I really toiled over Rannoch Moor, desperate to get the run over, made worse by knowing that everyone was waiting in the pub for me before we got the bus back to the start. It brought home I've got a long way to go that before June.

March was a difficult month to find the time to run but I had reasonable excuses, the first week was spent working all the hours of the day, unsuccessfully looking for the buried body of a murder victim, then I developed a chest infection. The chest infection meant that I didn't enter the D33side ultra as but I did do one run of 22 miles but after 16 miles I blew up, didn't have any liquid or food with me and basically walked the last 6 miles.  I had planned to do

Worryingly  I'm not developing the speed or stamina that I would liked to have achieved by this time of the year, but I'll keep plugging away. I've entered the Fling at the end of April which I'll use as a training run and a gauge of my fitness.



On the plus side I ran less miles in March '08 and that was the year I set my best time, so lets see how I get on. It would be most uncharacteristic of me to do hundreds of miles in a month !!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Gavin, I still think it is one of the most remarkable training programmes I've ever seen. WHW-lite :-) It's frightening to think what you could do if you actually trained a bit...

    Ian

    ReplyDelete