Sunday, July 4, 2010

Recovery Update

Firstly I'm still writing my race report and hope to have it on here in a few days, but I've already been saying that for a few days, so we'll see what happens. It's usually published around November time !!

This year my post race recovery's not been great and I still can't run. As expected the day after the race I had very stiff legs and between my toes was tender, although this hadn't bothered me during the race. I have previously used vaseline between the toes but that usually requires a couple of applications during the race. This year on the recommendation of John Kynaston I used Sudocrem, lashing it on at the start and did not require to reapply at all during the day. Top tip - thanks John.

All the above was expected and I knew would disappear after a couple of days, however I also had an incredibly painful right knee after the race. It hadn't really bothered me during the race, it's usually my left knee that gives me jip, and the pain was quite significant that if it had occurred during the day I'm sure it would have caused some discomfort during my run.

I've always accepted the offer of a massage at the Leisure Centre and believe this markedly reduces recovery time, however this year whilst lying on my back I had a rolled up towel under my knees then when I rolled over on to my front it was directly under my knee cap. My legs by this point were completely spent meaning that I did not have the strength to lift them at all. This resulted in my lower leg cantilevering out, unsupported and I think I may have hyperextended my knee slightly.

I've been managing to do a bit of cycling as that does not involve straightening my leg, but running is a no-no. It causes a sharp pain in my knee cap which I hoped would've gone away by now, although it is getting slowly better. It's really frustrating as I'd like to do the Speyside Way race in 5 weeks and the River Ayr Way Challenge in September, fingers crossed.

By the way, I've considered my running future and am 99% certain I'll be running the Big Race again next year - got the 20 hour demon to beat again !

4 comments:

  1. Get that report done!!

    Hope you recover in time for the River Ayr Race ... look forward to trying to stay with you on that one!

    Good news that you are planning to do the whw next year. I fancy another crack at sub 20 as well!! I need to stay one ahead of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonder what happened to the comment I thought posted yesterday (?), which said something very like...

    Re. '20 hour demon', you're not alone (although at least you've been there before)!

    Hope the recovery picks up a bit! :-)

    Cheers
    P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dunno Pete, you comment never arrived. That 20 hr target should be in reach next year when you'll be "Skins" powered ! Tried them out yet ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking I must have hit 'preview' instead of 'publish' and then navigated away...

    Yes, I've tried the Skins and suppose I should do a mini-review sometime, but really need to take them on a big, quad-trashing hill run first!

    ReplyDelete