Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Knee Shakedown

Today I gave my knee its first test since the race and spent the day hillwalking. I was a bit concerned about how it would stand up so we did a circular route from Glen Doll that had bail out options. We did 4 Munros covering 17 miles in about 5.5 hrs. I was wearing big clumpy Scarpa Manta boots so there was only the odd wee jog downhill as I didn't want to push it, but I can report that apart from the odd wee twinge the knee gave me no problems. It seems that the 3 weeks of relative rest has worked. Hopefully I'll get back out running on it again in the next day or two.














The route

It was a beautiful day and the route we took passed just to the south of Lochnagar on the 1 year & 1 day anniversary of Dario's passing. I was working frantically at T in the Park yesterday so didn't mark the occasion like others with a whisky but did so tonight with a dram from a bottle I was given on my 21st (yeah, I know, only a couple of years ago) which I save for special occasions.

It was a relief to find that my knee was much better than I thought it was going to be as I have volunteered to be a pacer for Peter "The Machine" Duggan's attempt of the Ramsay Round on the weekend of the 24th / 25th July. Pete has 3 pacers lined up, the first Jon Gay, I don't know, but he appears to have a not too shabby 1hr 52min Ben Nevis time. The third is a chap called Richie Cunningham, then there's little old me - gulp ! Hope I don't hold him back.

The goal for the (insane) 24 summits, 56 miles and 28,500 feet of climbing is to break 24 hours, which I'm sure Pete will manage. I'm really looking forward to helping him on the way and getting a good day out on the hill with it. Fingers crossed for the weather.

2 comments:

  1. Good to hear the knee is good.

    Have a great day out with Peter. I'll be on holiday but look forward to reading all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gav, 17 miles in 5.5 hours is terrific hillwalking pace (I'd count >= 3mph as good running on genuine hill terrain!), so sounds like you're on the mend.

    Re. Jon, his credentials are impeccable for this sort of thing, with 14 and 15 hour solo Tranter's, the first known sub-24 winter Tranter's (19 hours with his brother Dan and Paul Manson, see http://www.shr.uk.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=204), many mountain marathons and more. Since he's also crewed for me on both my WHW races and joined me from Bridge of Orchy to the Fort on the first one, he knows how to keep me going!

    As for Ramsay's, I'm working on the assumption that it's 60 miles and 30,000 ft, but won't be surprised if it actually measures up as more. (Know it's officially 56 miles/28,500 ft, but don't know how this figure was calculated and have invariably found GPS to record more distance than old-school map measuring.)

    Fingers crossed for the weather indeed... can't remain predominantly awful for ever, can it? And sure you'll be fine... so, if you want to talk about 'little old me', I claim dibs on that title and fully expect to be found wanting by my pacers! ;-)

    ReplyDelete