Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Post Race Musings


Now that I've had time to reflect on this years race there are a few things that I learned that I want to record so that next year I can read this post as part of my race prep, there's no point going through something like this and nor remembering any of the many things learned along the Way !! So I'm going to bullet point them - 

- Stay positive, you've done the training and the race probably won't be as bad as you expect. This year I had no real lows and felt good most of the day. Staying relaxed helps this which bring me on to ...

- Take it easy. Don't get caught up in the mass rush at the start. I was deliberately last over the line then stopped in Mugdock park for the loo, meaning I was on my own in the dark for this bit. I was 31st at Rowerdennan and 20th at Auchtertyre, you need to save something for the 2nd half, and I normally make up a lot of positions in the section.

- CRAMP. There are a few things I can do to tackle this ever present menace, so I'm just going to have to assume it will hit me at some point and develop a plan to deal with it.

   1. Drink enough. Despite it being pretty hot, my weight stayed constant from Auchtertyre to the end. I was drinking a lot but drinking on thirst, so it was pretty safe and not excessive.
   2. Try salt tablets. Marc gave me a couple and they seemed to work.
   3. Bananas. I was force fed these, but in managaeble quantities. A 3rd of a banana every stop is easier that forcing down a whole one twice during the race.
   4. Compression shorts. They might help with hammies and quads. I now have a pair of Skins so will try them out, nothing to loose (except £35 !)
   5. Massages and stretching in the months leading up to the race. This year I only had one deep tissue massage, but last year I had several and felt they really helped. Also Gaynor kept telling my to stretch, I must confess I was telling her that I was, but wasn't really !

- I need to find a food that I can palate later on in the race. I had wee boiled potatoes which I enjoyed early on, but they got difficult later - maybe mashed next year ? From the Ski Centre I was struggling for any sort of apatite. Ironically there were energy bars that my mum had brought in the car, but because they were a last minute thing their presence hadn't really sunk in so my brain, so I'd forgotten about them, just like the energy drinks she had brought, which would have been a refreshing change from Lucozade.

- Don't stop - walk with my support wherever possible. Jamie Aarons did this and it was pretty effective. She wouldn't really stop, just keep walking and eating / drinking. And since I didn't need to sit down this year I could have done the same. It was quite incredible to see how much distance she could put on you when you stopped and she kept walking - 18 seconds maybe ?

- Walk in to Kinlochleven. The slope is so bad that walking the steep bits will not make much of a difference and might just safe the quads for the last 13 miles.

- Remember the sign that says Braveheart Car Park 3.2km is ABSOLUTE NONSENSE,  what idiot put that up ! Every year I look at it and it drains any enthusiasm I have at that point. The car park is only about 4 mins away.

- Music. I had my ipod with me this year, but it was in the car. I don't like trail running with earphones in as i like to soak in everything around me but the right track can give me a really big boost in training. If I was near the 20 hour mark again it might spur me on, so have music not just for the end, but as it takes up so little space and weight it would be handy to help endure lows at any point.

- First Aid Kit. Don't let the half of your support team that are leaving immediately after the race take the first aid kit ! The Sunday can be a very long day if you don't have access to the various strappings, tape and lotions that you so desperately long for.

- Post race massage. If having one (and I believe these help recovery a lot) then make sure the towel is out from under your knee before you roll over !

- Monthly mileage. For 2011, following a lot of comments on the subject of my low training miles, I plan to try and increase my monthly mileage. Don't know how I'll get on with it, because if I'm honest I'm pretty lazy and whilst I really enjoy the big long training runs, I really struggle with motivation for the smaller 10milers after work.


So there we have it, points learned from this years race. Who knows how next year will go, but I won't be able to blame forgetting about how I did this year. 

There are of course variables outwith my control i.e. the weather. People said this year was tough with the sun and strong northerly wind, but if I'm honest I didn't really find them a factor on the day. I don't think was running fast enough for the wind to adversely effect pace in the way it would on a 10k, and I didn't find to too hot, in fact some places were chilly, borne out by the fact I didn't change out of my Helly Hansen thermal top all day !! But it would be a different kettle of fish if we have the sun without the wind, or rain like we did yesterday. The joys of running in Scotland ...

No comments:

Post a Comment