Monday, May 31, 2010

Monthly Mileage

Well it's hard to believe that May's over already - less than 3 weeks to the big event - scary ! My miles for May are not as good as I had hoped, probably because I changed job in the middle of May, (those that were at the start of the Cateran Trail ultra would've seen me on my first day in my new job) which messed my days off a bit, meaning I had a barren couple of weeks in the middle of the month.















To push the mileage over 100 miles I'm just in from a 14.2 mile run which incorporated the 2 mile, 750 feet climb from the Perth Heaven & Hell half marathon, in case your wondering the climb is the "Hell" bit.











I started out really easy and finished strong, running it in 1:45:50 which worked out at about a 1:38:20 half marathon. My pb for a flat half marathon is 1:31:00 so this was quite encouraging, given that I found it easy and it incorporated that hill.

As can be seen from the milage table I usually reduce my miles from the start of June. Again due to the way my rest days have fallen my last long run is scheduled for Wednesday, just creeping in to June, it should really sit with Mays mileage to give an accurate comparison, so I might revise the table in a couple of days.

2 comments:

  1. Tell me, do you cross-train A LOT, or or you just a naturally gifted runner? ;-)

    I dunno how you run so well on so little mileage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim, I do some road biking, but not much. About 125ish miles during May for example.

    I feel that I run a lot, but looking at the mileage of others I guess I don't. In a recent interview Jez Bragg said that he ran 120 miles a week ! How do you find the time for that ?

    I don't think I'm particularly gifted and at 85 kgs probably a little heavy for a reasonable ultra runner. But I am pretty tough mentally, which def helps in the latter stages of the race when physically, everyone is spent.

    It is sometimes a considerable chore for me to go out running so thankfully, after a long run tomorrow, the tapering can start !

    ReplyDelete