Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Lessons Learned

I’ve listed a few points before I forget them on the things I learned during my first really big race -

1. Don’t start too fast, repeat the mantra this is a marathon, not a sprint. Do not worry if people are passing you, if you’ve done the training and pace yourself, you will catch them up, although it might take another 15 hours to do it. My splits show that I made up a lot of places in the last quarter of the race and I was the fastest person over the last leg - splits spreadsheet


2. ALWAYS WALK OFF CONIC HILL ! It’s a bit slower but you make up time in the long run as it saves your quads.


3. Run through the Rowardennan checkpoint. Both times I’ve raced on the WHW I’ve had lengthy stops here which has frustrated me, I will now quickly take onboard food and drink that I can walk with thus probably saving 10 minutes.


4. I have found Salomon XA Comp 2 in a size 10.5 to be the perfect shoe for me. Great fit, never given me blisters, well cushioned, lightweight, with grippy soles. Although as you can see the pair I used are now dead –



5. Wear lycra undershorts to avoid chaffing which can be crippling. Also rub copious amounts of Vaseline between the toes as rubbing between the toes gave me problems all the way after Kingshouse.


6. Invest in a good head torch. My Tesco value £8 torch was cheep and gave me a headache. I have now purchased and used in anger a Petzl Myo XP – so much better.


No comments:

Post a Comment