Saturday, November 10, 2012

Progress Report

My return to running has not been as smooth as I would have hoped and has been sporadic due to a number of unavoidable factor and I've managed 8 runs since the start of September when I did the run I mentioned in my previous post. 

Training has been interrupted by an ingrown toe nail on my left big toe, which stopped me running for a while, then 2 weeks ago I opened a door in the house whilst barefoot, right on to my wee toe, completely peeling the skin right off it. This took ages to heal and I've only just started walking properly. And work has also been a major detractor from training, much to my annoyance.

On the positive side my running was improving, I usually aim to run the club 8 mile route at a speed of 8mph, and whilst I started back at 6.5mph, I was quickly up to 7.6mph & keeping up with people that previously had been leaving me standing as they ran into the distance. I still have a long way to go though....

I've also managed one longer run into the hills taking in the following route -

 
It was a beautiful day and the route started easily enough with a gentle jog up the glen -
 

then a steep climb up to the rolling tops before a steep descent and a flat jog back to the car.


The day ended up being about 22 miles and with the last few miles being a struggle, a shock to the system for both me and Cody- but he slept well that night .....


Also managed a reasonable run of sorts during a recent visit to Aviemore. Kim and I took the bus up to the Cairngorm Car Park from Coylumbridge then ran back through the Chalamain gap via the Lairig Ghru.


It was about 12 miles with a mixture of walking and running on a relatively fair day, but we did get hit with a horrendous downpour in driving rain just as we crested out of the Gap. Somebody really should clear up all those stones that are lying around - they're a trip hazard !!!

  
The rain was the only blemish on an otherwise great day (although Kim's skinned knees may disagree!). I didn't find it at all taxing, which is promising and the best bit about it was - it was all down hill !!


I'm off Monday - Wednesday next week so hope to try and get in another long run then...

 


No comments:

Post a Comment